Career Opportunities with the Gaiety School of Acting
School Coordinator (Maternity Leave)
Hours: 10am – 6pm
Days: 5 days a week, Monday – Friday
Purpose and Scope of the Post:
The Gaiety School of Acting – The National Theatre School of Ireland is seeking an efficient, organised, personable and creative School Coordinator to effectively lead and manage the administration of the schools courses. This post reports directly to the General Manager.
This is a fixed term contract covering a maternity leave, starting November 2021 and running until October 2022.
Duties & Responsibilities include:
● Manage the Coordination team. The role is line manager to two full time assistant posts.
● Effectively manage the administration and coordination of all courses carried out by GSA
● Recruiting and assigning Tutors to classes, finding cover if and when appropriate
● Implementing and enforcing policies and procedures relating to governance and course delivery
● Ensuring all teaching staff are properly training and vetted
● Assisting with the preparation and dissemination of all paperwork for students prior to commencement
● Booking of venues and staffing appropriately for classes and events
● General administrative duties
● Resourcing venues and classes effectively with the necessary casual host staff
● Scheduling of timetables for all programmes in line with the annual programme of events
● Schedule Audition dates with Director and tutors for all courses
● Preparation of a bi-weekly report on: Course Issues, Students Issues, Admin
● Advertise and coordinate interviews with prospective new teaching staff
● Developing and maintaining good communication with all tutors to facilitate improved feedback and awareness of course/student issues
● Arrange, chair, and supply minutes on 1 Staff meeting per term for each of the programme areas
● Any other duties as agreed with the General Manager and Director or as deemed necessary
- Documentation of course content for 2 Year Full Time Programme, part time courses adult and Young Gaiety, all International Programmes including IES Fall/Spring
- Development of all relevant courses content in response to consultation with staff and students
- Creation of new programmes domestically and internationally in partnership with recognised institutions/universities as required
Student Liaison & Care:
- Developing and maintaining good communication with students to facilitate improved feedback and awareness of course/student issues
- Management of assessment and feedback collation of students
- Any other duties relating to courses as assigned to you by the General Manager or Director.
Promotion & Communications:
- Developing and maintaining good communication with all tutors to facilitate improved feedback and awareness of course/student issues
- Working closely with the Head of Marketing regarding course promotion
- Work towards achieving Student Retention targets
- Provision of suitable brochure copy for promotion of courses
- Provision of suitable brochure copy for promotion of productions
- Manage all showcase performances through meeting with tutors, identifying requirements, communicating with admin staff, obtaining sign off on expenses, and managing the communication with students.
- Ensure that GSA Studio One Year Part Time courses, Youth Theatre Company and Musical Theatre Company performances are properly resourced and prepared for.
- Front of House Duties as required.
Essential skills and experience:
● High level of literacy, communication and organisational skills
● Finely tuned people skills
● Computer literacy and knowledge of Microsoft Office packages
● Ability to work in a constantly busy work environment with a high level of time management
● Problem solving skills
● Excellent communication skills
● Ability to manage several tasks and projects simultaneously
● Team player
● Fluent English
● Works on initiative
● Minimum of 3 years experience in an administrative role
● Previous experience in an educational setting
● Knowledge of and interest in arts/theatre/education
Salary and Hours:
The salary for this post is €40,000 per annum pro rata. This post is 40 hours per week.
Work outside these hours may be required. No overtime is payable, however time in lieu is offered.
Please email a copy of your CV and letter of application to firstname.lastname@example.org including two references.
Closing date: The closing date for receipt of all applications is 5pm Friday 8th October 2021.
Young Gaiety Tutor
Days: Saturdays/ Sundays
Venue: Teaching posts will be delivered in Temple Bar, Malahide or Sandyford.
Purpose and Scope of the Post:
The Gaiety School of Acting – The National Theatre School of Ireland is seeking passionate, skilled, trained and creative tutors to deliver a wide variety of young gaiety drama classes for students aged 4-16 years of age.
This is a fixed term contract covering the academic year 2021-22 starting October 2021.
Young Gaiety Tutor Responsibilities Include:
- Working with the school to develop class content and plans
- Delivery of 10 week class plan structure in advance to School Coordinator
- Keeping accurate records of attendance in class by students
- Providing a full update and student report to the Coordinator twice per term
- Ensuring all Young Gaiety Rules and Regulations are adhered to by students whilst in the building
- Attending all mandatory training including annual Child Protection training
- Being courteous and helpful to all students, parent/guardians and school visitors
The successful applicant will ensure their classes are run according to Gaiety School Of Acting policies, guidelines and procedures and that the Gaiety School of Acting’s Guidelines For The Protection Of Children are implemented correctly.
Skills and Experience Required:
- Fluent English
- Enthusiastic and demonstrable passion for theatre in education
- Possesses an acting qualification encompassing at least two years study. Certificate or Degree in Acting is preferred.
- Training in drama facilitation preferred but not essential
- Has at least one year prior experience of facilitating workshops and teaching drama to children aged 4-16 years
- Has prior experience of developing and delivering drama programmes for young people
- Demonstrates good interpersonal skills and be able to develop and maintain effective working relationships
- Demonstrates an understanding of and commitment to the ethos of the Gaiety School of Acting
- An ability to handle difficult situations with diplomacy and tact and a comfort in working with children is essential
- An ability to develop games and exercises that focus the student and improve
their performance skills
- The ability to plan and deliver ninety minute classes per term which achieve the aims set out in Young Gaiety guidelines
Terms of Employment:
These roles are line managed by The School Coordination Team and the General Manager. Rates of pay are €33.43 per hour. Tutors get approached to do hours as and when needed and agreed in advance.
To apply to be a Young Gaiety Tutor for The Gaiety School of Acting, simply email email@example.com with a cover letter and copy of your CV. Please write your name and ‘Young Gaiety’ in the subject line to denote which role is preferred.
Successful candidates will need to be Garda Vetted for the role and provide photographic ID.
Deadline for applications 5pm 20th September 2021.
Successful applicants will be called for interview from 21st September.
*Our work experience programme is on hold until further notice
We will not be accepting any work experience students for 2020 or 2021, without exception