Career Opportunities with the Gaiety School of Acting
General Manager – Maternity Leave Contract
Purpose and Scope of the Post:
The Gaiety School of Acting – The National Theatre School of Ireland is seeking a proactive, efficient and experienced General Manager to cover a maternity leave contract. This post reports directly to the Schools Directors. Widely regarded as the country’s premier training facility for actors, GSA’s policy is to train actors for theatre, film and television.
Working closely with the Directors the General Manager helps achieve the artistic, social and commercial aims of the organisation. He/she is responsible for the smooth day-to-day running of the school and its various administrative systems, whilst enabling the development /management of solid organisational foundations thus supporting long-term growth.
This post starts 7th March 2022 and runs until 3rd February 2023.
- Day to day cash management, bank reconciliation and banking.
- Preparation of bi-weekly management report detailing financial position of the school regarding debt collection, creditors and class numbers, and progress issues with project work to be presented at staff meetings
- Line management of all admin and teaching staff
- Preparation of monthly management report detailing financial position of the school regarding debt collection, creditors and bank accounts, class numbers, advertising, and progress issues with project work to be presented to the financial consultant and Directors
- Credit management for the business.
- Annual budget preparation – communicating department budgets to staff and managing same
- Updating, revising or creating new budgets for new courses or offerings
- Preparation of the annual accounts for auditing
- Ensuring all sales targets are met
- Seeking opportunities for the school nationally and internationally
- Maintain all records and standards of all written correspondence
- Maintain all licenses and contracts the school holds
- All aspects of Payroll (Thesaurus, ROS and Internet banking)
- Responsible for staff advertisement and recruitment
- Negotiating and issuing staff with contracts
- Dealing with any HR issues that arise
- Dealing with any school issues as they arise
- Ensuring staff training in health and safety, first aid, and any other training courses that may be needed is delivered
- Updating and revising staff policies and school procedures
- Communicating effectively with all members of the team
- Collecting, analysing and reporting on customer data to feedback into course creation and marketing.
- Identifying further avenues for expansion and project managing same
- Managing suppliers and annual maintenance contracts
- Managing all building maintenance
- Attendance and minute taking at board meetings
- Ensuring the protection and promotion of the GSA brand both nationally and internationally
- Any other duties as designated by the Directors
Essential skills and experience:
- Proven experience of working in a similar role
- Excellent administrative and organisational skills
- Prior people management experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (English)
- Good interpersonal skills and self-initiative
- Appropriate IT skills including: Thesaurus Payroll, TAS Books, Microsoft Office, Googledocs
- Willingness to work flexible hours
- Ability to work quickly and accurately under pressure
- Ability to firefight issues as they arise
- Ability to work independently and as part of a small team
- Previous project management experience
- Strong time-management skills and an ability to prioritise tasks.
- The capacity to balance multiple assignments and projects simultaneously
- Versatility, flexibility and a willingness to undertake a range of diverse duties as required
- Awareness of appropriate new media developments and online communications platforms
- Demonstrable interest in or knowledge of the cultural landscape of Ireland, theatre and/or film
Salary and Hours:
The salary for this post is €45,000 per annum. This post is 40 hours per week. Hours: Monday – Friday 10am – 6pm.
Work outside these hours including evening and weekend work will be required. No overtime is payable, however time in lieu is offered.
Please email a copy of your CV and letter of application outlining how you best fulfil this criteria to email@example.com including contact details for two references (only contactable at interview stage).
Applications close at 5pm Friday 28th January 2022.
*Our work experience programme is on hold until further notice
We will not be accepting any work experience students for 2021 or 2022, without exception.